2019 GCAC Elementary Cross Country starting
Grove City Athletics Club,
1) Monday, July 22 @ 10:30am-11:30am starts our Elementary Cross Country practices. Remember, the first practice of the week is 1 hour and meets at the cross country course and the second practice of the week is 1hr 30min and meets at the Keystone Pavilion. More info:
Mondays – 10:30-11:30am - cross country course (by the softball field within Grove City Memorial Park behind the Armory)
Thursdays – 10:30am-12pm – Keystone Pavilion within Grove City Memorial Park (across from the basketball courts near the park pool)
Here is the cross country schedule:
2) There is a parent meeting directly after the first practice (July 22) at 11:30am. Please be there.
3) NOTE: Please remember the GCAC Elementary Cross Country program is for rising 2nd-6th graders. We have had some children younger than this participate because we don’t like to turn away a child who WANTS TO BE THERE (is not being forced to attend by a parent/guardian). However, the activities are designed for 2-6th grade and are not always developmentally appropriate for younger children. We don’t want younger kids to get frustrated because they can’t do something and then not like cross country or track & field because this de-motivates them. Younger children have less experience following structured directions, a reduced capacity for understanding, and shorter attention spans, and this sometimes leads to “behavior issues” during training session explanations. Also, particularly during cross country, younger children have a reduced capacity for running longer distances and it is a safety concern for trail running and supervising 60-80 children with few volunteer coaches.
Therefore, if you have a child younger than a rising 2nd grader and they want to participate, YOU must stay the entire duration of practice and supervise. We prefer that this parent/guardian participates with the practice as a volunteer coach.
4) We are always welcoming coaching volunteers. No experience necessary. However, we will need you to pass 2 background checks prior to participating (these are the same for attending a school field trip). More info here:
6) The second Runner’s High Twilight Quad Series 5k with 1/2 mile kids race is Wednesday (July 17) in Greenville. Upcoming GCAC club events here:
7) Registration for the 2019 Grove City Athletics Club:
Have a great week!
Grove City Athletics Club