Important Announcement regarding Grove City Athletics Club Elementary Cross Country:
Due to COVID-19 we had to close registration on the first day of practice (Monday, July 27) in order to have safe, manageable numbers in the program. In our 8 year history, we have never had to do this before and hate to have had to do this. We absolutely hate to turn any kids away from wanting to run and exercise with us.
Again, we advertised and had open registration since January 1 and closed child and family registrations for the club on Monday, July 27 - the first day of elementary cross country practice. We regularly communicate with current club members via email. We always do a club membership drive at the beginning of the year - we recommend registering early so you don't miss important communication updates. Thank you in advance for understanding!
We hope to have you register your child for Spring elementary track next year (in the past this has been in May/June).
Grove City Athletics Club
Greetings Grove City Athletics Club family,
We hope you and your families are well! We wanted to provide an update regarding planned club events (hopefully)!
Foremost, we hesitate (but we are) providing this information publically as COVID-19 cases are currently on the rise and we don’t want to get hopes up too high if we have to cancel the cross country program. Generally, we will follow along with the PIAA and the Grove City Area School District.
Our hesitation is that we can never refund any GetMeRegistered club registration processing fees (otherwise the club would actually lose money). We would hate for people to register for our club and if COVID-19 gets worse, we have to cancel cross country. Please consider this prior to registration. Moreover, with children we can NEVER guarantee complete social distancing at practices and it is not safe to run with face masks due to restricting breathing during exercise. In other words, there is always a risk of transmitting COVID-19 or some other communicable disease when people gather.
On to more positive notes!
ADULT GROUP RUNS
More info here: http://grovecityac.org/index.php/training
SUMMER / FALL ELEMENTARY (grades 2-6) CROSS COUNTRY
- On June 24, the Grove City Area School District approved plans to start High School athletics practices July 1.
- In line with all previous years, summer ELEMENTARY cross country starts the same day as optional practices for Middle School cross country as Brian Buchan is the head coach of both.
- We plan to start GCAC Elementary Cross Country MONDAY, JULY 27 at 10:30am.
- Registration closes at 11:59pm on Monday, July 27.
- You may notice this starts one week later than last year because the season ends one week later (Mercer County Athletics Conference Elementary Cross Country Championships are Saturday, October 24 in Hickory).
- There are 4 HOME and 4 AWAY cross country meets scheduled!
- Two practices each week is 1hr.
- Prior to school starting, SUMMER practices are Mondays and Thursdays, starting at 10:30am.
- Summer Monday practices meet at the Cross Country course (Memorial Park softball fields behind the Armory), while Thursday practices meet at Keystone Pavilion (Memorial Park across from basketball courts).
- After school starts, FALL practices move to Tuesdays (4-5pm) and Fridays (3:30-4:30pm), meeting behind the Middle School (near the tennis courts).
- No kids may participate in GCAC cross country unless they are current members of the Grove City Athletics Club.
- The Day-by-Day GCAC Elementary Cross Country Schedule is posted here:
GCAC CLUB Middle School/High School (grades 7-12) CROSS COUNTRY
- Grove City Athletics Club Cross Country is a club team for 7-12th graders who attend Grove City Christian Academy or Homeschool outside of the Grove City Area School District.
- More info here: http://grovecityac.org/index.php/youth/ms-hs-cross-country-track
We REALLY hope we are able to have cross country this season. We love it just as much as the kids do!
Grove City Athletics Club
GCAC MS/HS Club Cross Country Parents & Runners,
Thank you for expressing an interest in running with our Grove City Athletics Club team this fall. I hope you are all enjoying your summer and are able to fit in some running.
Please see the attached flyer for all of the general information. Below, I have made some suggestions for summer preparations. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
I’ve also attached the Sports Physical form to be completed by your doctor prior to the first practice.
The racing schedule is still unknown as some of the schools have changed their normal week for their invitational. Hopefully, we will have more information by August for planning. The Grove City Invitational is expected to be on 10/3/20.
Please know that your child's health is more important than a practice or race. We ask that if your child is sick, has a fever or cough, or has been exposed to someone with COVID in the last 48 hours that you not send your child and consult with their physician. At this time cross country runners will not be asked to wear face masks during races. However, coaches, officials and spectators may wear them if they choose. Our coaches will not be wearing masks.
If you are a Grove City Christian Academy student, Coach Nash has already emailed you a sports packet to fill out along with the Physical Form.
If you are a homeschool student, we ask that you fill out the attached Waiver in addition to the Physical form. This will provide us information during an emergency.
2019 Summer XC Preparation:
Summer is the time to build your Base mileage. This is the time to get your body used to running miles. Base mileage should be run at a SLOW pace - you should be able to say a 3-4 word sentence without taking a breath while running.
How much should you run per week? That depends on your age, running experience and genetics.
The following are some very general suggestions.
Beginner runners: Run for 30 minutes 2-4 times per week. Don’t worry about distance. Just try to run without stopping or walking. If you must walk, each day try to walk less until you are running for 30 minutes.
Suggested Minimums: 7-8 graders: 2-3 miles, 2-3 times per week
9-12 graders: 3-4 miles, 3-4 times per week
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or for more specific recommendations that would fit your ability and experience.
Coach Wells and Coach Nash