Grove City Athletics Club (GCAC) member/coach Brian Buchan became a USA Track and Field Certified Coach (Level 1) this week, attending a 3-day clinic at the Greater Columbus Convention Center in Columbus, Ohio, along with taking an extensive exam covering all track and field event groups! Grove City High School T & F coaches Ben English and Wayne Biddle also attended. GCAC member/coach Seth Jenny has been a USATF Level 1 coach since 2009. GCAC became a USATF member club this year (USATF club #11-0305).
For more information about USATF and the Level 1 course:
USATF Level 1 Coach manual (basis of certification information):
Grove City Athletics Club
Slippery Rock University 2019 Indoor Track and Field program is sponsoring a few different ALL-AGES (child & adult) events this winter that many GCAC members will attend. All events are at Morrow Field house off Keister Rd. at SRU. Links below:
Grove City Athletics Club Meeting Minutes
Call to order: 6:25 pm Just a little late… Due to filling our bellies!
Adjourned: 7:44 pm
GCAC @ Mark Courtney’s house on November 7, 2018
- Seth Jenny
- Angie Jenny
- Kim Hohman
- Mark Courtney
- Debbie Courtney
- Brian Buchan
- Michelle Beck
- Steve Nichols
- Kyle Garner
- Katie Jordan
- Ryan Wells
- Coach John Papa
- Theresa and Khloe Krahe
Approval of Minutes
- Treasurer: Brian Buchan
- Balance as of 11/5/18 $3123.64
- An additional withdrawal of -$953.35 for Club T-shirts, not yet deducted from total (8/24/18)
- Spreadsheet of Treasurer’s Report was handed out.
- Pizza Party Deposits (2)
- 10/9 $199.90
- 10/27 $191.40
- Pizza party for class delayed to December because teacher having surgery.
- All New Business from President.
- To be given out to an individual who is planning to compete or be involved in a Collegiate program.
- Set-up Guidelines or criteria for students to follow
- Seth emailing everyone his previous running clubs criteria for scholarships.
- Looking to award……….. 1 Girl and 1 Boy each a $200 scholarship…. Totaling $400 for the first year. To start off.
- Michelle motions to start yearly Scholarship of $200 each for Girl.Boy to start.
- Mark Courtney 2nds and ALL in favor.
- Discussed Three Rivers Cross Country Championships (Mingo)
- Talked about races HS kids want to attend…… Nike… Footlocker ???
- Planning to put USATF meets on our GCAC schedule in future.
- Paid $75.00 Membership Fee
- Brian to get USATF level-1 for Coaching training November 30-December 2.
- Discussed Christian Academy/Home school running guidelines.
- New Membership Fees Discussion for GCAC:
- December 31,2018 new membership required
- Membership Drive: Get people signing up again between November?- December 15.
- Get Me Registered Pricing Discussion: Keep the prices the same for the time being.
- Individual- $25.00
- Family- $40.00
- Have a place on site for more donations if people choose to.
- Adult Running Discussion;
- Kate Jordan talking about posting available Run Times on Facebook.
- Sign-Up Genius:
- Easy way to have parents sign up for different things.
- Have this for Elementary parents to help out or bring in items.
- Get Elementary parents attached to the High School Invite so they can donate their time or bring donations in also.
- They were being left out of the loop and a lot want to help.
- GCAC Track
- Looking into options for where to have the Elementary Track time.
- Brian Buchan is checking into pricing for GJR track possibly???
- High School track practice doesn’t usually end until 5:30 at HS track.
- Special track visits possibly 1x a month to various facilities.
- Trying to do more Track meets also this year.
- Coach Papa talked about his Indoor Track Meets:
- There are 2 on Sundays at SRU
- No limit to events or # of events a student can do.
- Very lenient and would work with discounts for groups
- Regionals and Nationals for Track will be hosted by SRU at Schenly Park in Pittsburgh.
- Regionals- Nov. 17
- Nationals- Dec. 1
Adjournment Steve Nichols Motion to adjourn meeting at 7:44
Angie Jenny 2nds. All in favor. Time to eat again.
Respectfully Submitted by:
____ __Kimberly Hohman_______ November 13,2018 ________
NAME, Secretary Date
Grove City Athletics Club
Grove City Athletics Club members,
A few important announcements:
1) A lot of parents have thanked us for volunteering this year with both the elementary track and cross country. We appreciate it, but more than that we hope more adults/parents become involved in the club. We plan to have a club meeting open to all club members (or anyone interested in joining the club) on Wednesday, November 7 @ 6:15pm (location to be announced). We want you there!
2) Mrs. Davis (Morgan’s mom) will be collecting donations at tonight's (Tuesday, Oct. 16) practice for the End of Elementary GCAC Cross Country Season Race and Party coming this Friday (Oct. 19). She thought it might be easier to just order cupcakes for the team, rather than coordinate desserts. If you are able to pitch in, please see her or one of the coaches this afternoon. Thanks so much!
3) Today’s elementary practice is from 4-5pm and Friday’s end of season race and party is from 4-5:30pm – both behind the Middle School.
4) FYI - we don't plan on attending this formally as a club as we are having our final practice/time trial on this Friday (and we found out about this very late), but some may want to attend the Elementary race at end of the Mercer County Cross Country Meet)...be careful racing too often though, as this is the day after our Friday race/party! More info: http://grovecityac.org/index.php/announcements2/51-mercer-county-xc-meet-with-elementary-race
5) Slippery Rock University is hosting the NCAA Division II Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Regional (Nov. 17) and National (Dec. 1) Championships – both in Pittsburgh at Schenly Park. You may want to go watch, particularly the national championships. More info: https://rockathletics.com/sports/2009/8/27/MXC_0827091939.aspx
6) We don’t plan on having a formal elementary GCAC program this winter as we don’t believe in early sport specialization. We encourage you to keep your children active and fit by having them participate in other sports and physical activities (swimming, indoor soccer, basketball, gymnastics, wrestling, volleyball, martial arts, etc.).
However, we will be attending two indoor track meets as a club at Slippery Rock University in 2019: Jan. 13 & Feb. 10. More info here: https://rockathletics.com/sports/2009/8/27/MIT_0827093045.aspx
Have a great day!
Grove City Athletics Club